While searching pinterest this morning, I came across this article on iVillage: 20 Things No One Told Us About Raising a Boy, and I just had to share!
If you’re currently pregnant and expecting a boy, or if you’re already a parent to a little boy, I’d highly recommend clicking the link above to read all of this article!
Of course I’m not a mother to a son just yet… but growing up with two little brothers, I remember witnessing almost all of these things!
1. There will be planes, trains and automobiles – My girlfriend, Jenni, has two little boys of her own. She once told me that she believes boys are born knowing what sound a truck makes!
2. Boys don’t stop moving – I believe this already, just considering how much my little guy squirms in my belly.
3. Clothes shopping is easy – and cheap!
4. You will love watching him play with his Dad – From the moment we found out we were having a boy, I started thinking of all the things my husband and son will do together: fishing, watching football, working in the yard, camping, playing with the dog, etc.
5. The penis comparisons start early – Oh boy, I can only imagine…
6. You’ll learn to love Legos – Luckily, I believe I have a good handle on this already. My brothers were obsessed with these things!
7. Roughhousing is innate – Yes, I remember this too. My brothers were ALWAYS wrestling around and they could easily find a way to hurt themselves doing the simplest of things!
8. You’ll want to mold him into a stellar boyfriend – I’m already keeping mental notes for this one. There’s so much to teach my boy about dating, understanding and respecting the girls.
9. The goofiness starts early – I think the same could be said for girls, but the article mentions “potty humor” which of course is totally a boy thing!
10. Even sweet-as-pie boys love guns – Well, okay… I could see a lot of fun with water guns in the future.
11. You’ll learn not to compare your son to girls – Basically, boys and girls develop at a different pace… but we all knew that already, right?
12. Star Wars takes over earlier than you expect – It will be funny if this is true for us, considering my husband has never seen any of the Star Wars movies himself. I know… what?!?!
13. You’ll probably make a trip to the emergency room – I’m sure… let’s just hope it’s only one trip.
14. Sports obsession can be hard-wired – Uh yeah, we hope so! Justyn and I were both raised with sports obsessed fathers and really couldn’t imagine growing up without that.
15. Pee will be everywhere. Everywhere!
16. You will struggle with gender roles – I’m thinking Justyn might have a harder time with this… keeping my fingers crossed that he might at least like to go shopping with his momma.
17. You will revise your wedding fantasies – and be fine with it
18. Boys sometimes need to hug it out – I’m okay with this! I’ve also been told that boys give the best hugs. 🙂
19. You will throw away a ton of clothes – Boys like dirt, dirt likes boys. I may change my mind about how much I enjoy doing laundry while my boy is growing up.
20. Boys love their moms – Awe… I sure hope he does! I can’t wait to be his mom, to hear him call me just that, and to one day get to hear him say “I love you”.